Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Kossman Development

The long-delayed commercial development of the parcel that sits at the junction of Mt. Lebanon Boulevard and Castle Shannon Boulevard is apparently on the verge of approval by the Mt. Lebanon Commissioners. Kossman is, I take it, the name of the developer. We'll get some large office buildings and a fair amount of new traffic. I know that residents and some merchants in that area of town have been frustrated in getting the Commission to pay attention to their concerns that the lot isn't big enough to handle the traffic, and that they're losing some valuable undeveloped space.

My view: So long as the property is taxed fairly -- always a relevant concern -- bring on the development. Mt. Lebanon has too little commercial development as it is, which is one reason why the tax burden here is so crushing.
Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt C. Wilson said...

I'll miss the space when it's gone. They've certainly been trying to put something there for years. I hope if they do go through with it they get the space occupied. Just up the street, where the SnS is now, used to be the JCPenney (?) office building, and that thing sat there for years.

I still don't get why MtL wants these office buildings so badly, if commercial land is what they're after. Why did they sell the Bourse Shops to Scott Twp then? I'm pretty sure the Lebanon Shops (on Mt. Lebanon Blvd, for pete's sake) used to be ours as well - that or Castle Shannon just really likes our name.

I dunno. My take is, they've started going on a land grab for what available growing room is left. The Sunset Point development they're doing into the sheer cliff-face above McNeilly is just one example, with Robb Hollow Dr., the Covenant building, and Mainline II to boot. Pretty soon there won't be much left, and then what?

I'd like to see effort go into improving what's already there. Molly Brannigan's (have you gone yet? :) is a great example! My next project would be getting the defunct Cochran RiteAid turned into something useful. Just not another monolithic drug store, please.

August 11, 2005 1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home