Friday, August 25, 2006

Traffic Anxiety in Mt. Lebanon

Traffic "calming" proposals make a lot of people tense. Read yesterday's coverage in the P-G South section.

I have to confess that my reaction is -- traffic "calming" in one neighborhood sets a very bad precedent for the rest of the town. The "whack-a-mole" effect, which moves "calmed" traffic to some other neighborhood, is an obvious concern. So "calming" measures follow, again. Where and how do we draw the line?

People I don't know drive fast up and down my street and sometimes don't stop at the stop sign at the corner. I'd be delighted to see the Lebo police department set up shop nearby and write a bunch of tickets for moving violations. But as much as I prefer relative peace and quiet, I'm not about to put up "keep out" signs. Personally, I like the semi-urban feel of Mt. Lebanon, with the congestion, the occasional unanticipated disruption, and the antiquated road engineering that comes with its being an older suburb.

Link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06236/715709-55.stm
Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Traffic calming has been successfully implemented in many cities in the US and around the world. Traffic can be managed and should be to increase property values/quality of life in Mt. Lebanon. I like the urban feel of Lebo also, but the highway feel is tiresome and unneccessary.

November 07, 2006 7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home