Thursday, November 16, 2006

Save Our Shops Committee

From today's Route 19 News Briefs in the Post-Gazette

A group of people calling themselves the Save our Shops Committee is circulating petitions opposing the plan by Walgreens to demolish 11 of the existing 12 shops at Bower Hill Road and North Wren Drive to build a new drugstore. The group wants to convince town officials that most neighbors oppose the plan and are concerned about traffic and the loss of convenient neighborhood shopping.

The group also is asking interested people to attend a planning board meeting at 8 p.m. Nov. 28 and a zoning board session at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 30. Both meetings are in the municipal building. For more, call Walter Smith, 412- 531-3451, John Conti, 412-855-2165, or Barbara Driscoll, 412-344-3504.
Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Blogger Matt C. Wilson said...

Which shoppe is to be spared? Chicago's, I'd imagine.

I've visited the Coffee Den once or twice, and ordered several times from Silk Road. I think it's great to have a variety of options for small businesses.

Plus I absolutely detest these gigantic drugstores. (As I've remarked here before :)

November 17, 2006 10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this where the Gallery used to be?

November 17, 2006 2:49 PM  
Blogger Joe Polk said...

Yes anonymous...this shopping plaza is where The Food Gallery used to be (and Scozio's after that).

As I mentioned in a posting last year, I am sick and tired of these mega-drugstores. Why do we need another one in our town -- and at the expense of other businesses? I just don't get it!

November 17, 2006 9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your stuff. Very interesting.

I'm not sure of my opinion on this yet. On one hand, I've been to Eckerd a few Sunday mornings to pick up some important stuff. It is also nice to see some big companies invest in our community.

On the other hand, I love the pizza/chinese restaurants, and think we need a lot more of those. (especially the non-chain ones)

Can't they just use the Food Gallery part and keep the other stores as is????

November 20, 2006 10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about this location for a TRADER JOE'S. I heard they were looking for a spot in the South Hills.

This is a fantastic store that Pittsburghers would love.

November 21, 2006 7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home