Thursday, October 25, 2007

Candidates Against Using Drink Tax For Transit

Both candidates for Allegheny County Council in District 5 have said imposing a new alcoholic drink tax to pay for transit is a bad idea.

The drink tax -- 10 percent on alcohol served in bars and restaurants in Allegheny County -- is part of a two-pronged approach to provide a dedicated funding stream of about $30 million to fund mass transit in the region. The other source would be a $2 daily tax on car rentals.

"It seems like kind of an odd fit," said Barbara D. Logan, a Mt. Lebanon commissioner who is the Democratic nominee challenging Vince Gastgeb, R-Bethel Park.

Link: www.post-gazette.com/pg/07298/828188-55.stm

Link 2: www.gastgeb.com

Link 3: www.loganforcountycouncil.com

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Schultz said...

Back in August I proposed an alternative solution that would have to be implemented state wide. I proposed a fuel efficiency tax/credit program based on the MPG of a new vehicle purchase.

Those who want to buy gas guzzling Cadillac Escalades can do so - with an fuel efficiency tax or surcharge attached to their purchase. Those who purchase the much more fuel efficient Hybrid vehicles should continue to receive a tax credit.

I emailed my blog post to both State Reps Matt Smith as well as my former Rep Chelsa Wagner. I didn't hear a response most likely because it is a controversial issue, and, since a lot of people in their districts drive guzzling SUVs, it will most definitely cost them votes in an election.

Fewer people own bars and restaurants that serve alcohol - so that compromise is easier to swallow, but I challenge anyone who favors a regressive tax like a gasoline tax hike at the pump over what I feel is a much more progressive approach in this fuel efficiency tax.

October 25, 2007 4:08 PM  
Blogger Schultz said...

Just an FYI to follow up my previous comment. I have already had several discussions with Matt Smith regarding green policies and initiatives for our district, including clean tech startup incentives as well as green building incentives.

I will soon post details of Matt's Green Building tax credit proposal at my Green is Good blog.

October 26, 2007 12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home