Friday, October 19, 2007

No MRSA Found At MLHS Stadium

Tests conducted by the Allegheny County Health Department have shown that there is no staph bacteria in the turf or the field house facilities at Mt. Lebanon High School stadium.

Health Department Spokesman Guillermo Cole said today that all 13 samples taken yesterday came back negative for any type of staph germs, including those that cause the drug resistant MRSA infections that have been confirmed in 10 students at Mt. Lebanon High School, including nine football players.

Mr. Cole said 13 samples were taken in all, with eight coming from the field and five from the indoor facilities, including the locker rooms, weight room and training room.

Link: www.postgazette.com/pg/07292/826788-100.stm

Link 2: www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/cityregion/s_533635.html

Link 3: www.thealmanac.net/ALM/Story/10_24_ML_MRSA_outbreak_B

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to the high school track yesterday morning to walk as usual. When I arrived, Channel 2 and Channel 11 news trucks were there. I thought they were reporting about the power outage that caused the high school's classes to be cancelled. However, the topic was MRSA. I learned from another high school parent that there were more confirmed cases than the one that I originally knew of. I sent the following e-mail to the school board yesterday with the hope of finding out about the situation since I would prefer to hear from the district rather than from Pittsburgh's news channels. "Dear School Board:

Until today, I was under the impression that only one case of MRSA had been confirmed in our high school. As I understand it, we have had 10 confirmed cases with an additional 16 students having been treated without actual confirmation. Apparently, a meeting for parents of fall sports participants was held recently and some information was distributed to them. My high school student is not playing a fall sport, so I did not participate in the meeting. I would like to receive the information that was provided to those parents. Can you tell me what the district's action plan is regarding this issue is at this point? I would really appreciate feedback from the district.

Thank you,

Charlotte Stephenson"

I have not received a response as of yet, but I really would like to know the status. If anyone has any links to MRSA information as it related to our district at this time, please post. Thank you!

October 19, 2007 9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A detailed update regarding MRSA can be viewed here:

http://www.mtlsd.org/district/mrsa.asp

From there link to a Letter to High School Parents October 19 is found. This was very informative. Thank you Dr. Davis.

October 21, 2007 7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home