Thursday, January 03, 2008

Cutting Out Of The Business

The Cochran Barber Shop, 373 Vanadium Road in Scott, kept its name through two moves from its original location on Cochran Road in Mt. Lebanon. When the building owner decided not to renew the lease, owner and barber Regis Jones decided to close the shop rather than endure a third relocation.

"I'm tired of moving," Mr. Jones said. "I have enough money to retire. I've been working since I was 14 years old."

Link: www.post-gazette.com/pg/08003/846164-55.stm

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Blogger Joe Polk said...

I know that Cochran Barber Shop's most recent location was in Scott Township, but the two previous locations were in Mt. Lebanon where they served a ton of Mt. Lebanon residents (myself included). I got my first haircut from Steve at Cochran Barber Shop -- which for those of you that don't know -- was in the row of businesses that used to stand where the CVS currently stands on Cochran Road at Altoona Place.

There used to be a hardware store there too (though I don't remember the name) and Dudt's Bakery as well (mmmm...glazed donuts!). If anyone remembers what other businesses that were there before CVS came to town, please share your memories here!

January 04, 2008 12:27 AM  
Blogger Jefferson Provost said...

There was a Little Caesar's Pizza there in the 80's. Their cheap and nominally edible pies fueled the MTLHS stage crew for many shows during the years I was there.

January 04, 2008 9:08 AM  
Blogger Joe Polk said...

How could I forget Little Caesar's? Pizza Pizza! Yum!

January 04, 2008 10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way back wasn't there a Thorofare grocery in that location? This would have been the time frame before Friendly's (now Skidgy's) was built and the current Cochran Brueggers was a Burger Chef, and the Taco Bell was still a hillside yet to be carved into.

January 04, 2008 10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I worked at the Cochran Rd Burger Chef during high school in 1978. Fond memories with manager James Ackleson III and the crew! Played a thanksgiving day football game against neighbor Wendy's.

November 05, 2015 8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home