Thursday, June 26, 2008

Full-Day Kindergarten?

In the not-so-distant past, the Mt. Lebanon School Board appointed a Kindergarten Task Force to evaluate whether Mt. Lebanon schools should shift from a half-day kindergarten model to a full-day kindergarten model. Residents were surveyed, and other districts were scrutinized. I don't recall whether there was a Board vote. But the bottom line was this: Whatever the possible benefits of full-day kindergarten, they were outweighed by the substantial costs associated with that shift. A half-day district we remain.

The topic has surfaced again in email to me. I don't feel strongly about this issue one way or another, and I'm acutely sensitive to anything relating to added costs in a district that is already looking ahead to what I predict will be a nine-figure-new-high-school project. Is there any new information or argument to consider regarding kindergarten structure?

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home