Thursday, June 19, 2008

More on Anonymity, Threats, and Bias!

That's an unusually blood and guts post title, prompted by an (unfortunately) anonymous comment that was submitted very shortly after I posted earlier today about the Lebo School Board.

The comment was filled with righteous indignation that (i) I am biased against Mark Hart, because I don't criticize or analyze the Post-Gazette's (or even the Devil's Advocate's) coverage of the School Board and (ii) I fail to recognize the obvious coercion of Republicans (yes, that was the suggestion!) by unnamed powers that be in Mt. Lebanon. (There was also a gratuitous slam at the student journalists and their teacher at The Devil's Advocate.)

Given our comments policy, I won't post the comment, but you get the gist. Why do I respond? Because in its utter failure of comprehension, it made me smile.

Here's the thing: Bias? Of course! As Captain Renault famously announced, there's gambling going on in this establishment. "Bias" isn't really the right word, but I do have opinions. I share them on this blog. You can agree; you can disagree. (Truth be known, even Joe Polk doesn't always agree with me, nor I with him.) Comment here or, in the words of the inimitable Linda Richman, talk amongst yourselves. Free speech and the First Amendment are great things. Recognize that America is a special place in part because of them. And use them or lose them, metaphorically speaking!

(Regarding Mark Hart: I don't know the man or follow the School Board closely enough to have an opinion pro or con. He and I have occasionally exchanged email. It was civil to the point of friendliness.)

On coercion of Republicans. Frankly, I find that amazing. Some of my best friends in town are Republicans, and they don't strike me as the shy and retiring types. But if local Republicans are cowed by social and/or Democratic pressure, then the rest of Pittsburgh will be enormously relieved, because it generally thinks of Lebo as the most dull, conformist, and Republican suburb this side of Pleasantville. And if local Republicans want a lift, think: This is Sparta.

If you don't know what that means, ask a local correspondent for The Devil's Advocate.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

Blogger Joe Polk said...

Mike -- It's a darn shame that the person that sent the comment couldn't have included their name and started an actual discussion regarding their points.

Yes....you and I don't agree at times, but that's what makes the world "go 'round". It would be nice if we could all use our names on here and have meaningful discussions about issues facing our town instead of submitting anonymous comments that will never be posted.

June 19, 2008 5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home