Thursday, December 11, 2008

Rep. Smith Returns Pay Increase

State Rep. Matt Smith, D-Allegheny, said he will return his legislative cost-of-living increase to the state's General Fund in light of the budget crisis facing Pennsylvania and the economic crisis facing its residents.

Smith on Dec. 3 said he would also continue pushing his proposal to cut the state legislature's budget by 20 percent in the new session.

"Given the dire budget circumstances our state is facing, with a more than $600 billion shortfall already in less than half a year's worth of collections, I simply cannot accept a cost-of-living adjustment," Smith said. "I'm returning my new cost-of-living increase to the General Fund, as are several of my House Democratic colleagues and our caucus' leadership."

Link: www.thealmanac.net/ALM/Story/12-10-ML-Smith-returns-raise

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the many reasons we are proud to have Matt as our Representative!

December 12, 2008 10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Raise your hand if you've ever turned down a raise or a bonus.

I realize that in the wake of bonusgate, the state legislature has to earn back some credibility when it comes to compensation. Plus, the shear size of PA's government makes salaries and perks an easy target and a cause for concern. However, the concept of politicians rejecting even modest pay raises seems unusual to me.

I suppose it concerns me that unless we come to accept the fact that its ok to make a decent living while serving in public office (not get rich mind you), we may ever attract the best, brightest and most deserving candidates?

I suppose Matt is Exhibit A for the argument that we can, but I'd like to see a few more.

December 13, 2008 8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home