Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Jefferson Awards: Woman Fights For Amy's Army

Kate Rosenthal's father raised her to be a doer, not an observer. When her best friend's daughter, then 10 years old, was diagnosed with a rare form of childhood leukemia five years ago, she found inspiration in his words.

The upshot was the formation of Amy's Army, a group of volunteers who have helped to find bone marrow donors for 23 people scattered all over while continuing to look for one for Amy Katz, who is now 16.

"My dad used to tell me when I was a kid: Most people sit back and watch things happen and wait for things to happen," said Mrs. Rosenthal, 49, of Mt. Lebanon. "He always said to me, 'Be the kind of person who makes things happen.' I think that was my motivation with Amy's Army."

Link: www.post-gazette.com/pg/09033/946255-51.stm

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home