Friday, March 06, 2009

Crossing Guard Finds Comfort And Purpose

When Elaine Kelly was hired as a crossing guard seven years ago at Washington Elementary School in Mt. Lebanon, she discovered two gifts she didn't know she had or needed: an uncanny ability to recall names and a renewed purpose.

"I started remembering all these names," said Kelly, 60. "They started sticking in my head. I know every kid that I cross and because it is a busy crossing, I want them to know me. I think I had help from above. Truly, I really do."

Not only does Kelly have the reputation of knowing every student's name she crosses, but according to Washington Elementary Principal Emily Kirkham, she knows the names of the students' parents, grandparents and probably their family dogs.

Link: www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/southwest/s_614280.html

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home