Thursday, July 02, 2009

Amateur Antiques Roadshow in Lebo

OK, Tim: Thanks for your comment on the Trash Day post, which suggested that there's enough re-purposing of discarded furniture in Mt. Lebanon (by discarders and collectors alike) to support a kind of grassroots Antiques Roadshow. My original point was to prompt a conversation about whether or not this sort of thing is desirable (from the standpoint of a recycling/reuse/waste reduction ethos, or from the standpoint of the kind of town that Mt. Lebanon is or wants to be, or from a distributive justice standpoint [sorry - I have my academic hat on this afternoon], but I was assuming that the activity was both limited and somewhat surreptitious. It turns out, however, that it's the worst kept secret in town. Heck, if you haven't rescued an unwanted item from Mt. Lebanon's sidewalks, then maybe you aren't fully in the community swing of things! So I'll post a related but different prompt:

Post your favorite anecdote about "vulturing," "seagulling," "garbage" or "junk" picking in Lebo.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

Blogger Hunter Clay said...

Ummm, I'm sitting in an armchair that I dragged from our neighbor's curb at dusk one Thursday. I beat a family of five to it by about 35 feet. The youngest daughter was visibly upset; mom tried to turn it into a lesson about sharing. It's nicer than the couch it sits next to, which was purchased. Patches of discolortion are barely visible.

Does that count as vulturing?

July 02, 2009 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home