Monday, September 07, 2009

My Favorite Mt. Lebanon Things, Continued

(Next in an occasional series of things I really like about Mt. Lebanon. Last time: Rollier's hardware store, especially its service desk.)

Occasionally, and against the advice of my orthopedic surgeon, you will see me jogging very slowly around Mt. Lebanon, continuing a habit that I first adopted well over 30 years ago. As most Mt. Lebanon walkers know, there is no better way to get acquainted with the town than by foot.

And what I learn about and like most about my Lebo wanderings are the old farmhouses that still stand here, nestled among the more recent stone and brick homes that most people associate with Mt. Lebanon.

The Historical Society of Mt. Lebanon can fill in all of us with the relevant details. For myself, I just like looking at homes here and there and imagining what they must have looked like before paved roads and power lines helped to create the town that we inhabit today. Even an amateur architectural historian like me can distinguish farmhouse styles from the designs of the 20s, 30s, and 40s. Doing that is a great way to participate in and remember Mt. Lebanon's early history.

Mt. Lebanon's farmhouses. Some of My Favorite Mt. Lebanon Things.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

Speaking of the Historical Society or Mt. Lebanon, if you haven't stopped in to see their new location (on the corner of Washington and Lebanon Avenue), be sure to do so. It's a real treat!

They are open:
10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Thursdays
9 a.m. to noon Saturdays
6 to 9 p.m. on First Fridays (May through October)

September 10, 2009 12:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Janice, one of the volunteers from the Historical Society, came and spoke at our block party today. It was very informative! Thank you to Janice and all of those with the Historical Society for your time and investment in keeping the community aware of Mt. Lebanon's roots!
~Gina Niewodowski

September 12, 2009 1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home