Sunday, October 11, 2009

Another Favorite Mt. Lebanon Thing

Next in an occasional series about things I like about Mt. Lebanon:

Watching the window displays at Anne Gregory for the Bride on Washington Road.

At its best, window shopping in Mt. Lebanon's Washington Road shopping district (the curiously named "Uptown," which I have always assumed responds to "Downtown," which is the Golden Triangle) makes the area a destination in itself. I don't need to go into any stores or buy anything; I can amuse myself on the sidewalks of these four blocks.

And the best windows in town are at Anne Gregory.

I've never been inside. I take it from the website and from what I can see through the windows that this is a top-drawer outfit, for people with time and taste and money.

The dresses in the windows are enough for me. Sometimes these are for brides-to-be; sometimes there is a dress for the mother-of-the-bride, or for the maid-or-matron-of-honor.

The pleasure is in the judging. I'd never want my daughter to wear that! Or: That's gorgeous! Sometimes these are real winners, dresses that are just lovely. Sometimes they are duds.

Wedding dresses are matters of personal taste, just like weddings themselves. For years before I got married, I heard story after story critiquing all aspects of weddings from my mother and godmother, who fancied themselves the "Wedding Connoisseur's Club." One thing I learned is that price isn't everything. When my wife and I got married, we bought an antique satin dress for $100. Gorgeous. The shop where we bought it is long gone (it was in Berkeley). The dress will be worn again, I hope.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home