Monday, October 19, 2009

Yet Another Favorite Mt. Lebanon Thing

Next in an occasional series about things I like about Mt. Lebanon:

Leaf sucking. Every Autumn, as the leaves fall, we pick them up in our yards and transport them to the curb, and Mt. Lebanon sends around trucks to suck them up. Not every home is located on a street where leaf sucking can be done, but many more are than are not, I think.

The scale of the task mirrors the scale of Mt. Lebanon's inventory of trees, at least its trees beyond its parks, and that scale is daunting. But it's not the leaves themselves that fascinate me; it's the trucks. These are giant vacuum cleaners on wheels, and they really make what Ross Perot once described as a metaphor: a giant sucking sound.

There is probably a case to be made that the trucks involve a colossal mistake on environmental grounds. I don't know exactly what that case consists of (I could compost all of my leaves in my backyard, but then I would have little of a backyard, and my neighbors would be grumpy), but I'm willing to overlook it for now. That means that I know that leaf sucking requires leaf disposal, and neighbors of one of the disposal site (Robb Hollow Park) are very unhappy about what the Municipality does there. But my understanding is that the Friends of RHP don't want the Municipality to stop sucking leaves; instead, they want the leaves to be stored somewhere else.

For more on Mt. Lebanon's leaf sucking, see this information at the Municipality's website.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home