Friday, May 07, 2010

What Happened To The Mt. Lebanon Community Theater?

We received the following email regarding the existence of the Mt. Lebanon Community Theater. If you know anything about it, please share it with us in the comments:

"I'm a Mt. Lebanon resident with a question that needs answered, and I'm hoping Blog Lebo can help. I came across this newspaper article from 1933 (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1144&dat=19330430&id=PSQbAAAAIBAJ&sjid=a0sEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1747,3343422) about The Mt. Lebanon Community Theater being incorporated. I can't seem to find any additional information about what happened between then and now. I'd love to know the history of any "community theater movement" (past and present) in Mt. Lebanon. We're such a talented lot -- performers, writers, technicians -- that I'm really surprised we don't have a thriving community theater. Would you mind posting this email to the blog or putting out a similar call for any information that is floating around out there?"

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Anonymous Bill Lewis said...

I don't have the answers, but can refer to folks who may be able to help with the history.

Suggest you go to Margaret (M.A) Jackson, Assoc. Editor of *mtl* magazine and also president of The Historical Society of Mount Lebanon. Other Trustees who might have knowledge are Virginia Nicklas and Wally Workmaster.

There are a number of local residents and organizations active today in performing arts, and they will hopefully respond. You might also want to contact Mary Ann Fox who is in charge of fine arts for the Mt. Lebanon School District.

Start with these folks and you will be networked to others who will be helpful as well.

One final suggestion...call the Library (412-531-1912), Reference Desk, and see if the Library has any info or files on the original Community Theatre....the Library has some historical records and newspaper articles on Lebo it maintains in cooperation with the Historical Society.

May 07, 2010 6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know quite a bit about the Mt.Lebanon Players.They existed in the 50's and 60's. I was in a number of their productions and my father was President at least once. I'm pretty sure I have programs from many of their plays. The shows were in the theater at Jefferson. I can give you lots more info. Just need to dig back in my memory.
Elaine Wertheim

May 07, 2010 9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home