Monday, January 03, 2011

The end of analog cable for Mt. Lebanon? (Updated)

Today I received a letter from Comcast, informing me that all of my televisions would need to be digital ready if I wanted to continue receiving my television programming. Since I have the most basic cable subscription available, the implication is that, soon, there will be no analog cable service of any kind in Mt. Lebanon.

To see if this was indeed the case, I called Comcast and spoke with three representatives. None of them gave me the same story.

The first said that, yes, two weeks after the March 31st deadline to order digital equipment, all of the analog channels would be migrated to digital-only service. The second said that only some of the analog channels would be migrated; she thought that the local networks and government-access channels might remain. The third, however, said that the real story was a work in process: there is currently no plan to turn off analog service, and any discussions of moving the basic analog channels to digital-only service were still “in the works.”

So there you have it, straight from Comcast: confusion.

Does anybody know what’s really going on? Is analog cable service going away? If so, when?

Update 2011-01-04 19:35:

Commissioner Dan Miller has an update on the analog-cable situation:
Comcast is going all digital by late March 2010. Subscribers who do not have boxes now will be provided up to 3 boxes (1 digital set-top box and 2 digital adapters) free of charge. Customers can have these boxes sent directly to them. Also no charge for shipping. The conversion will begin in late January and continue through the end of March. For customers who have the most basic level, the stations will be converted in the last step which is scheduled for March 31. So in theory these customers could continue without boxes until then. But after that they will be needed. I have no idea what the lowest level of digital cable will include or what it will cost.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger Greg Nilsen said...

That's why we switched to FIOS. Comcast's service is awful.

January 03, 2011 6:34 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

So, what if I don't want a digital box? I understand that I'll get fewer channels, but since I'm on the comcast super-basic package anyway, I don't think that there are many more channels that they can cut!

January 05, 2011 8:06 PM  
Blogger Tom Moertel said...

Matthew, I believe the implication is that, if you don't get a digital box (or its equivalent), you're not going to get any cable television channels, even the most basic ones, come March or April.

January 07, 2011 2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home