Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Trib: Local doctor finishes third in Van Cliburn field of 77

By the time he turned 18, Barry Coutinho had to choose between a life in music or a life in medicine.

Coutinho chose the greater stability and financial security of medicine, eventually becoming a family physician at UPMC Shadyside, but never gave up his love of the piano.

On Sunday, he took third place in the Van Cliburn Foundation's sixth International Piano Competition for Outstanding Amateurs in Fort Worth, Texas, one of the most prestigious contests for nonprofessional musicians.

"I had considered (entering) 10 years ago, but it was too much trouble with the pressures of work and raising small children," said Coutinho of Mt. Lebanon. "Now that the kids are a little older, that gave me more time to practice."

Read the full article:

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

Anonymous David Brown said...

I vaguely remember when I was very young Van Cliburn played at the High School as part of Music for Mt. Lebanon. Does anyone else remember that, or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Anyway, perhaps Mr. Coutinho would consider giving a recital in Mt. Lebanon. I'd go.

May 31, 2011 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home