Friday, July 29, 2011

Trib: Mt. Lebanon's 'Beast' will remain, but composting will not

The piles of molding leaves may be gone from Mt. Lebanon's Robb Hollow Park, but "The Beast" shall live on.

The Mt. Lebanon board of commissioners voted 3-1 Monday to formally discontinue composting of the park leaves that municipal crews pick up curbside each fall. Commissioner Joe DeIuliis was opposed. Commissioner Matt Kluck did not vote.

The new law prohibits composting in Robb Hollow Park after leaves have been shredded with the two-story-tall grinder -- called "The Beast" by its manufacturer -- even though the municipality hasn't composted in the park for about two years, said municipal Manager Steve Feller.

Read the full article:

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Anonymous John David Kendrick said...

Who voted against????

I am not the kind of person to mention any names, but I remember years ago a certain Mt Lebanon Commissioner and his campaign manager cleaning up debris deposited by school kids walking home from the high school. The Commissioner felt that the (then) School Dist Supt should fund the clean-up rather than the municipality.

Anyway, when I walked-by with my dog, I asked him what he was going to do with the garbage. The Commissioner said that he was going to drop if off on the Supt's front lawn. His Campaign Manager was loading the bags in the trunk of the Commissioner's car.

I never followed-up to see if he followed-through or not; but I did see the area was cleared of debris.

Does anybody know how the story ended?

Joe Polk do you know what happened next??? 8)

August 09, 2011 5:59 PM  
Blogger Joe Polk said...

Sorry John...I don't know what happened next.

August 09, 2011 9:57 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

I have noticed that my lawn has been quite clean this summer, and am not looking forward to school starting up again as I'll have to go back to picking up at least one bottle or can a day out of my lawn.

It'd be really nice if the high school would have kids "patrol" the sidewalks leading up the school for garbage as a service project of some sort. Seems that they would be less likely to litter if they knew they would just have to pick it up later.

August 10, 2011 12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home